We’ve all been through moments of feeling like we need “something” to feel better.
Addiction is a complex disorder that takes over the three key elements to a person’s well being: mind, body & spirit. And in most cases, addiction is used as an unhealthy coping mechanism for trauma, intense stress, emotional distress, depression, anxiety, etc.
For the individual struggling with the addiction there is an intense need to escape and avoid difficult experiences and painful emotions – often powerless over the addictive process.
There are two categories of addiction that can takeover a person’s life:
- Process Addiction, i.e., gambling, sex, shopping, etc.
- Substance Addiction, i.e., alcohol, cocaine, opiates, etc.
Some of the ways to identify if you have an addiction are if you continue to engage in the addictive behaviour despite negative consequences, withdrawal symptoms, urge based response to triggers, people in your life voice concerns, etc.
For the individual struggling with the addiction there is an intense need to escape and avoid difficult experiences and painful emotions. They often experience feelings of hopelessness and powerlessness over the addictive process.
It is also very difficult for people supporting an individual with an addiction. It is hard to know how to help, where to begin or when helping is hurting (enabling), navigating difficult decisions and understanding the addiction.
Rivers Edge counsellors can help you or your loved one understand and overcome their addiction. Addiction counselling sessions are available, one-on-one,with a certified counsellor, or as part of the Crossroads to Recovery Group Program.
Addiction Counselling Can Help:
- Identifying and manage triggers
- Stabilize and understand the process of addiction
- Learn to manage emotions and replace unhealthy responses with healthy ones
- Support with multi-level and community based intervention
- Help rediscover the person’s identity and sense of self
- Work through the stages of change
- Regain a sense of personal power and control
- Learn more about your addiction
Addiction Counselling Can Help Loved Ones:
- Understand how they can help the addict in their life – caregiver support
- Understand of recovery process of an addict
- Develop healthy boundaries
Other Helpful Resources
- Addiction Canada
- Alberta Health Services: Addiction and Mental Help
- George Spady Centre
- Edmonton Mental Health Clinic
- Mobile Mental Health Crisis
- Alcoholics Anonymous (Edmonton)
- Narcotics Anonymous (Edmonton)
- Cocaine Anonymous (Edmonton)
Articles on Addiction Therapy
To start counselling now:
River’s Edge Addiction Counselling Therapists[ Open All | Close All ]