The Child Psychologists and Counsellors at River’s Edge know that what parents most want for their kids is to be happy and healthy. They work closely with parents to understand what is developmentally normal for kids, identify areas of concern and find solutions that help kids thrive.
Our therapists use play therapy (including sand tray) and other therapies that help them connect with kids and develop trusting relationships, in a peaceful and caring environment. They work from a family-centered perspective, understanding that for kids to do well, parents and caregivers also need support and the right tools to meet their needs.
Child Counselling can Help Kids:
- Strengthen resiliency and coping through tough times
- Learn how to regulate emotions (happy, mad, sad, worried, etc.)
- Heal from trauma
- Improve self-esteem
- Develop better relationships with peers and siblings
- Work through experiences of grief and loss
Child Counselling can Help Parents:
- Understand the emotional needs of a child who is struggling
- More effectively deal with behavior challenges
- Support children facing transition or loss
- Advocate for their child’s best interest at school
- Improve sibling relationships
- Introduce and support new coping strategies
Signs that Your Child May Need Help
- Delay in developmental milestones
- Abnormal amount of anger, temper tantrums, acting out, bed-wetting or changes in eating habits
- Changes in academic or athletic performance
- Child appears sad more than normal or has large swings in mood
- Child isn’t social, or sees a change in social behavior
- Changes in activities they once loved
- Aggressive behavior
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Complains of: headache, stomachache, or not feeling well despite being healthy
- Major changes to family life – i.e., divorce, re-marriage or death
- Sexual, physical, or emotional abuse
what is play therapy?
Children and adults experience the world and express themselves in very different ways. An adult’s natural form of expression is language, while children’s natural form of expression is play. Play is important to the development of children in many ways, including facilitating logical memory, abstract thinking, emotional regulation, mastery of language, and physical and motor development.
Play therapy helps children to:
• explore emotions
• identify and work through challenging experiences
• organize thoughts
• nurture mastery and resilience
• improve relational abilities
• make sense of self, other and the world, through the use of metaphor and symbol
Play therapy can help children work through many issues, including:
• difficult emotions, such as anger, worry and anxiety
• grief and loss
• divorce and separation
• blended family adjustment
• emotional regulation
• problems relating to peers or siblings
• self-identity and self-esteem
Play therapists are trained to work with children from a developmental perspective to identify themes in the children’s play, and then to creatively work with different interventions (puppets, sand, clay, games, books, art) to help the child work towards resolution and healing.
At River's edge Counselling Centre, our child therapists understand the unique ways in which children process experiences and information, and how play can be used to help children to heal and grow.
Our playroom is fully equipped with a sandtray, art materials, therapeutic toys and board games. Our approach is to work with children from a holistic perspective in a safe, respectful environment. Caregivers are always included in the process and are considered essential to a child’s therapeutic success. When required, other helpers (doctors, teachers) may be included in the therapeutic process. Our experience has shown that therapy is most successful on a long term basis when parents and guardians are actively involved in the process.
To start counselling now:
Group Programs for Children
articles on counselling for children
meet our child counsellors[ Open All | Close All ]